Right after I started this blog, I signed up for the George Washington Parkway Classic. For the last 4 months I’ve been super excited about this race. When I was injured in February, I adjusted my time goal just to guarantee I’d still have an amazing time though tacking 12 minutes onto my expected finish time kind of stunk. Now that the race is 3 days away and the weather forecast is absolute perfection:
I’m stuck in limbo, waiting to hear if the looming government shutdown will push back the race. If you’re wondering how the race is impacted by this situation (because I know I was), the race is run on the George Washington Parkway, which is a road maintained by the federal National Park Service. The National Park Service would be closed in the event of a government shut down.
Pacers has been working hard to come up with a way for the race to go on as scheduled and has also come up with an alternate race date of May 1. I know I’ll get to run this race, but the uncertainty is driving me nuts.
I always want to plan, so I came up with two scenarios of how I’ll handle this weekend.
- Run the Crystal City 5K Friday slowly and focus on making sure I run as close to 3.1 miles as possible, cutting out the extra distance I ran last week. Run the Parkway Classic on Sunday.
- Race the Crystal City 5K Friday and try to PR 2 weeks in a row. Do a slow long run on Sunday and keep on training for the Parkway Classic.
At least I have options. I just hate that I have no control over them. Either way, I’m so ready for this weekend.